PLANET EARTH OUR HOME has over 12,000 members and over 725,000 photos and videos.
All PLANET EARTH groups supports Greenpeace and its core values.
A purpose-built campaigning ship
Ever since the first Greenpeace expedition set off in a ramshackle old fishing vessel we have relied on existing vessels refitted to meet our needs. With the new Rainbow Warrior, we had the chance to start with a blank canvas for the first time.
A fast and reliable vessel
The new Rainbow Warrior is as fast as many industrial vessels, with action boats that can be deployed in minutes – even in waves up to 3.5 metres high. Her helicopter landing pad means we can deploy a vital eye in the sky, enabling us to spot illegal fishing operations and shipments of illegal wood.
A base for science
The ship can carry specialised equipment up to 8 tonnes in weight. It’s designed so that scientists can work on board. By supporting original scientific research we help build understanding of what is happening to our planet’s ecosystems.
A floating communications hub
The on-board satellite communications system – featuring a built-in satellite uplink – means the new Rainbow Warrior is able to stream live footage from the scene of environmental crimes direct to the world’s media.
The new Rainbow Warrior’s eco-credentials include:
- A hull shape designed specifically for superior energy efficiency
- A-frame mast and sails – optimised for highly effective sailing
- Electric drive system (7 knots on only 300kW)
- Extended environmental assessment of the Ship
- Highest environmental standards of all engines (IMO Tier-II)
- Green ship class notation with Green Passport
- Voluntary environmental protection class notation
- Exhaust gas treatment, minimizing NOx emissions and Particulate Matters (PM)
- Biological treatment of sewage and grey water
- Central filling and venting system for fuel and oils to prevent spills
- Environmentally friendly paint system